Thursday, May 1, 2014

I'm Goin' Home

           That title is/was a great performance by Ten Years After at Woodstock all those years ago.  Alvin Lee on lead guitar; he was absolutely amazing.  It is still one of my favorite performances to watch of all times!!
            So, here I sit in the Denver International Airport
DIA- Concourse B
 and to be honest, I’m not impressed.  A few factors contribute to my impression.  One, the United Airlines (timeliness of flights?  What’s that?!?!).  My flight from Durango was an hour and 20 minutes late taking off, but that was okay for me as I had a 3 ½ hour layover in Denver; until I got to Denver and found out there’s another 1 ½ hour delay!  I won’t be on the ground in Atlanta tonight until after midnight!  Hey, that’s another day’s per diem.  Oops!  That doesn’t apply anymore.
            Then, the cave that the regional planes come into is one of the worst I’ve ever seen in all my years of flying.  It’s like a tunnel, jammed with way too many people trying to do what they’re supposed to do, long line, poor signage and NO flight monitors to let you know your next gate.
            Okay, the whining’s over.  The flight from Durango was an amazing visual performance.  There is a LOT of snow up in the Rockies!  Absolutely stunning views.  As we left Durango, we headed northeast and I wondered if I’d get to see Lemon Reservoir, the one John and Patricia own, (well, they don’t really own it, but it’s theirs!). 
Snow in the Rockies


Lemon Aerial View

Lemon in Its Beauty
Today, I was able to take a picture from the plane of both Vallecito and Lemon Reservoirs, John and Patricia’s front and back yards!!  Here’s the shot from the plane.  Not the greatest pic, but particularly memorable as two days ago I was hiking up the west side beyond Lemon Reservoir!!  Incredible!  Thanks John!  Thanks Patricia!
John and me

Try to count the rings
400 year old Ponderosa

Debris Dam in Night Valley
            I had a chance this morning for coffee with Chris and some good conversation and then he dropped me at Diane’s.  Diane and I had a small amount of time to connect and the conversation was amazing.
Chris, Me and Hermosa Mtn.


Skipper and me

Chris and Diane

Diane and me
            I’ve got lots to process from this trip.  I’m certain this is an experience unique in my life.  I’ve never had an opportunity to do the things I’ve done in the manner I did them and for as long as I had.  God has truly blessed me and I know that my life is enriched by what has transpired.  I also know that I will be processing the events and experiences for some time to come.
            I am indebted to the folks here in Durango that I encountered.  And I am most certainly ready to be home and with friends and family back in Georgia!!

            I am truly a blessed man!!



God's Beautiful Creation

No comments:

Post a Comment