Monday, March 31, 2014

Hogsback Ridge

Saturday, March 29, 2014

          Several folks have asked me "what are you going to do out there?"  Well, the beauty of this time I have is that I'm not constrained by time. Frequently when one visits a place like this you have 4-7 days to get as much done as you possibly can; and then you go home to rest up from vacation.  I've been given the luxury of having five weeks, so I can take my time.  Do not, for a moment, think that the blessing of this opportunity is lost on me! 
          One of the fascinating things about Durango is the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad.
Durango-Silverton Railroad



  The ride begins in Durango and the tracks run about 100 yards from Chris' house.  There's a railroad work yard that Skipper and I walked to this morning and we also made it  Hermosa Creek right nearby.  
RR Work Engine and Water Station


Hermosa Creek

             

                                                                                                       I’ve been reading Chris’ book on trails around this area and found an “easy” one right on the west side of town.  I was able to drop Skipper off at Diane’s house and then it was a five minute drive to the Overend Mountain Park trailhead for the Hogsback Ridge Trail.

I started up and very quickly realized that I’m still adjusting to the altitude, I’m out of shape and maybe I’d better just enjoy a hike a step below “easy”!  I could see the ridge and the trail leading up to it, but I knew there was no likelihood I was going to be up there today.  So, I hiked for about 45 minutes and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful weather.  It was nearly 60 degrees with a gorgeous blue sky. But, I have set a goal.  I am going to make it to the top of Hogsback before I leave here….hmmm, maybe not!  Look close at the picture and you may be able to see the trail going up to the top....it's pretty darned steep.  
Another view
Hogsback Mountain

I also realized during my "easy" hike, that nobody, no one in the world knew where I was at that time.  That's kind of a sobering thought.  Yes, I had cell phone reception, but if something had happened to me it would have been difficult for anyone to find me.  I've decided that when I go adventuring in the future, I will text Muggy and let her know where I am.  I don't want to have to saw off my arm!!
Yes, I'm really here!

I'll share some pictures of the day here:

Snow-capped mountains to the north





No comments:

Post a Comment