Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Different Experiences

Sunday Afternoon, March 30, 2014
            God has given me a wonderful gift of this time in Durango in so many ways; and one of the most significant to me is the opportunity to explore other denominations and methods of worship.
            I attended St. Mark’s Episcopal Church at 8:45 this morning.  The first person I met was Joan, who is the person I’ve been emailing with.  She welcomed me warmly and introduced me to Larry, an usher.  He and I chatted a bit and then I sat down.
            The church is small, but very beautiful, beginning with a stone block outside.  The sanctuary is primarily wood with a magnificent pipe organ in one corner, wooden pews, cushioned kneelers and lots of stained glass.  The altar is simple and functional.  I did note that the church reminds me of some catholic churches I’ve been in, and, in a lot of ways, the service said Catholic. 
            The parish priest/father/pastor introduced himself and was very cordial to the congregation and invited us all to introduce ourselves to those around us. 
I found it very interesting that two of the scripture readings for the day were ones I’ve read in the last week. Unless there is some colossal conspiracy going on to make us think that “coincidences” like this just happen, I would have to say it is a divine indication that I should pay particular attention to these verses.  The addresses were:  1Samuel 16:1-13 and John 9:1-41.
            The pastor shared a short message and my take-aways were considering the question, “Do we define people by their shortcomings?”  and we “should see the heart, not the appearance”.
            They participated in communion and it being Catholic-like, I assumed it was not open communion.  However, one gentleman saw me sitting and he took the time to walk over and advise me they practice open communion and I was welcome to participate.  I declined nonetheless as I needed to depart for another service.  I was struck at his thoughtfulness and appreciated his taking the time to inform me.
            As I departed for my second church service of the morning I was taken with the magnificence of the opportunity I have to experience God within different frameworks, different denominations.  Each of these folks is seeking to know their God more intimately, or, at least I assume they are as they take time to come together for corporate worship. 
            I headed across town to the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (UUF).  I never considered looking for, let alone attending a UUF while I was here, but this one is located right around the corner from Skipper’s Mom’s house and I did not consider it a “coincidence” that the opportunity presented itself. 
            Once again, a relatively small church, but this one was bustling with a very diverse congregation replete with lots of children.  I had researched UUF on the internet and found there to be a strong emphasis on Religious Education.  From their website:

“The purpose of Lifespan Religious Education at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Durango is to nurture and affirm each individual's sense of identity, self-esteem and tolerance.  To do this, we incorporate the study of our cultural and religious heritage, world religions, moral values, and social responsibility. 

I know very little about UU, but have learned some in the past few days.  In speaking with one of the members this morning, she said, “Most people think UU’s don’t believe in anything!”  So, for those who have never investigated UU, I recommend that you do your own research.  Perhaps a word of caution on this research; be prayed up before you venture into areas like this.  Some consider the UU a cult (it does not meet the five criteria). 
I will say of the UUF in Durango that there is an obvious appeal to the intellect in what they choose to present and/or listen to.  Today’s message was “The New Cosmology and Our Changing View of the Divine”. 

         And, I’m not just getting to experience other’s methods of worship, but simply conversations that may ensue.  For instance, I went to the hot springs the other night.  A young woman and her son were already in the sauna when I arrived.  I spoke briefly to the boy and then entered the sauna.  She was young, maybe early 30’s.  She looked Native American, but I couldn’t be certain without staring; and her son looked Native American too.  It was simply to unique an opportunity to let pass by, so, finally, I spoke to her and asked what her heritage is.  She replied that she is full-blooded Dine, or Navajo.  We spoke for a few moments about the tribes in the area, about traditional practices for Native American families, how the missionaries messed things up and it was, to me, quite an enlightening experience.  I’m intrigued in how God has connected dots in my life once again.  When Muggy and I went to Monument Valley, I read about the Dine.  I’m fascinated by their culture.  It was a truly remarkable opportunity to talk with her.  I’ve come to a solitary place and time to be alone and hear from God.  
            I spent the day reading and relaxing.  In the evening, I was sitting in the recliner with Skipper just kind of hanging around.  He repeatedly came to the side of my chair and, in his own way, lets me know he wants some attention; no barking, just a level of activity above what he does most of the time….sleep. 
So, I keep getting up and giving him treats and then I’d told him no more; but he can’t hear of course, so he usually wins!  Well, one last time he comes to my chair, except this time he comes around to the front so he’s facing me. 
I look at him quizzically and say “What’cha want?  No more treats you know!” 
Then, Skipper nudges my water glass sitting on the bookshelf with his nose and looks at me determinedly. 
It hits me!  His water dish is empty and he’s telling me he wants some water.  As I’m on the way to the water dish I’m thinking, “…there’s no way that dog knew to tell me he needs water.  That would be a pretty big leap in knowing each other….” And, upon arriving at the water dish, it is bone dry! 

“Amazing!  This is one pretty smart dog!”  

No comments:

Post a Comment