Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Beauty and Balance, Hozhoni

            If I were to choose one word to sum up my approach to life and living it is balance.  Monday night I was introduced to yet another nuance of the word. 
            The nuance came when I queried about a translation of a Native American word, Hozhoni.  I spoke with the reigning Miss Hozhoni, Chanetel Johnson Monday evening and she explained that Hozhoni means beauty and balance assessed or apprised by all.
This week at Ft. Lewis College here in Durango the community is celebrating Native American culture with the 50th annual Hozhoni Days Pow Wow.  There are several activities scheduled and the events culminate with the pow wow on Friday night and into Saturday.  Some research uncovered an important event as part of the celebrations. 
Monday evening was the talent competition for the candidates competing to be crowned Miss Hozhoni on Friday evening.  There are four young ladies competing for the title of and each one performed a traditional talent and a contemporary talent.
The traditional talents performed were singing in the native language, telling stories in the native language, explaining the “Changing Woman” ceremony and demonstrating the proper method to comb and tie-up the hair of a woman. 
All of the performances were very good, but I was particularly impressed by the stories and song in their native languages.  I think these young ladies speak English predominantly and it must be quite difficult to learn the native language.  One young lady in particular told a story in native language and she talked for 15 minutes straight.  I am sharing a few moments of the story so the reader can listen.
Simply being in attendance at this event was very meaningful for me.  .
There was a young lady who spoke to the group who is the reigning Miss Northern Navajo Teen for 2014.  She was very confident and comfortable in front of this large group and pretty funny too!  She had visited her grandfather this past summer and he makes flutes. He had given her one and she has now learned how to play it. Here is a short sample of what she played for us.
Click here to listen to flute playing sample.
I spoke with her after the event and wished her well.  I asked if I could have my picture taken with her and she obliged.  Unfortunately, my camera corrupted those particular files.
As I said above, I spoke with the reigning Miss Hozhoni after the event.  She told me there is to be a Round Dance on Thursday evening.  Anyone who wishes to can participate in the dance.  I’m going to be there on Thursday night?!?
As I was leaving, a Native American gentlemen about my age approached and spoke to me.  I think he was acknowledging my interest in his culture and he appreciated it.   I was touched deeply that he spoke to me and we were able to briefly express mutual interest in his culture.  It was a very special moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment