Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pursuit of Connections

Endeavoring to catch up here a little bit.  It’s now Tuesday morning and I have not posted since last week.
Thursday evening I found myself with some unconnected dots.  I’m left wondering if these will be connected at some time in the future, or if these were simply random circumstances.  I’m inclined to think the former as I am too convinced of God’s hand on my day to day activities, not only while I’m here in Colorado, but regularly.
            So, late Thursday afternoon I headed for the Ft. Lewis College campus and the Center for Southwest Studies Library.  The library has chosen to divest itself of some of its books and they offered them for sale to the public.  There were some interesting books for sale and I couldn’t resist the urge to buy a few of them.  A couple of them are analyses of the religious practices of Native Americans.  In and of itself, the visit to the library was not an unconnected event; it was simply an event.
            However, while there a man came in to look at the books.  He spoke rather loudly to the librarian stating, “I just heard about this sale.  I didn’t know it was going on until John just told me about it!”  And he was excited to have the opportunity to look the books over.
            I had already made my purchases, but was drawn back to a couple of older books that I ultimately resisted the temptation to spend more money on. 
            The strange thing was, the late-comer noticed what I was looking at and he started speaking to me about the sociological theories of [Michael] Mann and how he posits there are four pillars of any society which the elite manipulate to their liking.
            I was intrigued as I’ve spent more than a few moments thinking that our lives are manipulated by the elite (read, ultra-rich), and I felt this was an opportunity to learn more.  As I think back on the moment, I’m fairly certain I had a very quizzical, yet puzzled look on my face as he spoke.
            I finally said to him, “Well, you are actually quite far over my head with Mr. Mann’s theories, but I am interested in learning more.”
            As that moment, he could not remember Mann’s first name so he asked the librarian to look him up.
            I took out my phone and performed a quick search and discovered that Michael Mann is a professor at UCLA.
            With that, I left the library and headed for Noble Hall.  There was a lecture beginning in an hour as part of the Lifelong Learning Series on recent developments in brain science which I wanted to hear.
            I was an hour early so I had brought one of my new books and was looking for a place to curl up and read for a little while.  While walking past one of the classrooms, there was a video playing for a class and as I passed by, I heard the lecturer say something about male aggressiveness in our society and I was, again, intrigued.
            So, I stood in the doorway and listened.  A female, the professor I assume, was standing near the doorway and she looked at me and smiled; as if to say, you’re welcome to listen in.  So, I did.
            The video is by Jackson Katz on violence by men.  I have now found it, or at least a similar one on a TED talk at:
            So, I sat down on the steps of the classroom and listened.  So, the lecture concluded and I exited the classroom and went next door for the lifelong learning lecture. 
            So, for the lecture this evening, we were entertained by Dr. Ben Kater, a retired neuroscientist who has some pretty lofty credentials. 
            He gave us a lot, but three basic take-aways:  1)  It is likely that EVERYTHING we do, experience, sense is changing the brain; all the time, 2) Any constraints put upon us, and particularly children, which can impact the brain’s development can be severely limiting, and 3) exercise is probably the BEST thing one can do to improve and enhance the brain’s neuroplasticity.
            Here’s a picture of the brain’s vascular system.  Dr. Kater said, “It’s beautiful isn’t it?!”
            
Brain's vascular system
                                   
           
            During Q&A, at least three individuals, maybe four asked questions about the benefits of meditation on brain development and plasticity.  It was interesting to watch the obvious interest that the questioners had of Dr. Kater; appearing desirous of his endorsement of what is obviously their lifestyle choice.  He did not endorse meditation as a bonafide method for benefit of the plasticity of the brain, but said, “I used to use meditation, but now I have horses!”
            He presented some pretty amazing findings from his studies about the ways in which the brain is able to overcome sensory deprivations and/or changes.  Too complex to try to put here, but definitely worth researching.
            Saturday provided me with an opportunity to visit Mesa Verde (the Green Table) National Park. 
Approaching from the east
It’s early in the season and a wonderful time to visit if one doesn’t mind a lack of crowds!!  I’ve posted several photos from the day on my facebook page and will put a couple of the better ones here.  It was interesting to learn that, historically we have referred to the people who lived here as the Anasazi.  Today I learned that the word Puebloan is a better word to use.
Looking back to the east

Cliff Palace, 1500 years old

Canyon view from Cliff Palace

No modern tools!

            I mentioned the early season lack of visitors to the park.  I had some solitary moments throughout the day, but particularly at Park Point Fire Lookout Tower.  This spot is the highest elevation in the park (hence the reason for it being a fire lookout location!) at 8572 feet above sea level.  The amazing thing was that God and I were the only ones up there!  Talk about alone time with God!

View to the south from Park Point

            There was much of the park I did see, but much left undiscovered and I will return at least one more time before I depart Colorado.  It was quite a day and a trip to the Trimble Hot Springs that evening was very much in order. 
            Can you believe I am actually getting to do all of this?!?!

            And, as I prepared to head for bed on Saturday evening, some thoughts.  I am now at the halfway point of this adventure.  I’m ready to be with Muggy, but I am still anxious to see what God has for me.  I confess to some confusion in the myriad things coming across my path.  I will not obsess.  I will wait upon the Lord to show me what He has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment