Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter 2014

It’s been a very interesting and culturally powerful week getting to this Saturday evening, Easter Eve 2014. I attended several events for the Native American Hozhoni Days celebration in Durango.  I attended the talent competition for Miss Hozhoni, the Round Dance (and yes, I did join the dancing!) on Thursday night, the Pow Wow on both Friday night and Saturday.  I watched with keen interest the “Gourd Dance” on Friday night, the drum playing and the preparations the men and women were accomplishing to get ready for the dance and drum and singing competitions.  The regalia these folks put on are utterly amazing.  It takes them up to two hours to get ready for the competitions.  Some of the outfits are valued in the $1000’s of dollars and may have been handed down from one generation to the next.  I’ve never seen anything like it!  So, this was my mental preparation for my experience in Mesa Verde and Easter Morning.
Getting Ready

Prepaing for Grand Entry

Grand Entry Underway


Quite an extravaganza!!

It’s Easter Eve, 2014.  I am comfortably secure in a room at the Far View Lodge, Mesa Verde National Park.  I experienced an incredible photo opportunity this evening.  Following a very good dinner at the Metata Room restaurant, I quickly checked sunset time for Cortez, CO and found it to be 7:53.  I hurried to the car and drove to Park Point, the highest elevation point in Mesa Verde NP at 8572 feet above sea level.
            I’d been here the other day and had the entire parking lot and observation point to myself.  Well, God and I had it to ourselves.  It was the same again this evening.   I got a lot of pictures tonight.  I LOVE digital cameras!  Film is so cheap!!


            So, here I am again where the ancestral Puebloans lived from about 900-1200 AD.  I can’t say that I’m experiencing any strong sensations about this place, but there seems to be something going on.  I’ve experienced sensations of déjà vu several times this week.  There’s a sense of belonging, no, it’s not that strong, but there’s definitely a sense of connectedness to being here. 
            Easter morning had me awake at 5:15AM.  I knew sunrise to be at 6:35, so I figured I’ve got time for a cup of coffee and then I’ll head out.
            By 6 I was ready to go, knowing the spot I wanted to be at was about 10­-15 minutes drive, I headed out.  Arriving at the turn-off to Park Point I noted the gate still locked and another car already there; likely for the same reason I was. I decided that they’d gotten up even earlier than me so I’d respect their privacy and find another spot.  Less than five minutes away was another picturesque spot. 
            I took my camera, tripod, headset and phone with praise and worship music and found a nice spot to wait for the sun and to quietly come into God’s presence. I’m accustomed to more traditional Easter mornings, but was blessed to have such an experience as what I was this morning.  I was alone with God on the side of hill in Mesa Verde National Park.  Quiet?  Oh my gosh, it was so quiet up there!!  And the grandeur and beauty are breath-taking!
My Worship Spot




            The sun cooperated and rose right on time.  I took a lot of pictures in hopes that some will be worthy of keeping and/or showing to others.  I’ll share a couple with you here.
Sunrise

       
   The canyons and mesas
 
The San Juans

More Sunrise

God's handiwork

            As I left my worship spot this morning, I came around a curve and looked down into the ravine.  There was a wild horse.  He didn’t see me at first, so I stopped the car and got out to take pictures.  By now he knew I was there and was high-tailing it further down the ravine.  I was unable to get any kind of decent picture of him, but it was very cool to even see him.  I asked a ranger later about the wild horses.  She says there are actually quite a few in the park and they peacefully coexist with the elk and deer.  Actually, the horses tend to over-populate and have to be removed to other locations.
            I headed back to the lodge for a wonderful breakfast in the Metata Room while enjoying more of the grand view of the mesas and canyons to the south.  I had a ticket for the 9:30 tour of the Balcony House archaeological site, so that was the next thing on my agenda.  The Balcony House site had been closed since last fall; this was the first tour of the season, not necessarily a big deal, but kind of noteworthy.
            I realize these events and activities are “out of the ordinary” for an Easter morning, but that has been the nature of this journey I’ve been on.  God has taken me out of the ordinary.
Starting down...700 feet
             Our guide this morning told us a great deal about the Puebloan people.  Did you know that Mesa Verde is not only a U.S. National Park?  It is a World Heritage Site which is pretty unique.  It’s not the archaeology that makes it a world heritage site.  The fact that the descendants of the Puebloans still live fairly close is the distinction.  The Hope and Zuni tribes are direct descendants.
For Hopi’s and Zuni’s, all of this area, the ruins, etc., are considered hallowed ground and at some point in their lives, they make a pilgrimage to Mesa Verde and the land of their ancestors.  The Puebloans consider all living things as important and it is spiritual to treat all living things with respect and care. 
Serious ladders!

Not for the faint of heart

As I listened to our guide this morning, I noted the feeling I've had of connectedness to this area.  It makes me wonder if there is a spiritual presence/significance to this place?
These structures were built where they were because of the availability of water via seep springs.  The rain falls on the mesa top above and gradually filters through the sandstone and comes out in some areas.  The availability of the springs was why the people built where they did.
Seep Springs

I really was here!

90% original construction!!

It was an amazing morning.  With my tour complete I determined that I would like to return to Mesa Verde someday with Muggy and we will do more visiting and touring.  If you ever decided to visit this wonderful place, do not try to do it all in one day.  You cannot.  There is too much to see and learn.  Give yourself at least two days.  Plan to stay in the lodge if you can afford it, (standard rooms are about $90).  Take the tours, take the hikes, visit the museum.
A little scary coming up!!

Happy Easter Everyone!!

I was missing my new best friend, Skipper, back in Durango so I decided it was time to head home. 
I had enjoyed an atypical yet glorious Easter Morning and was thankful and blessed to have had more amazing adventures and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment