Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Technology: You Gotta Love It!!

            I’ve been tremendously challenged here technologically.  Up front I want to say, I’m pretty proficient with technology.  I’m the kind who always used to set the time on his VCR because he hates flashing numbers!!  And, I am pretty dogged when it comes to taking care of technology issues, but my limits have been tested since being here.
            Let me begin with trying to set up an email distribution list using webmail.  Chris asked me to do this for him before he left.  Well,I'm not sure how familiar the reader may be with webmail apps, but they aren’t the most friendly and intuitive things one tries to do on the computer.  I got to a point with Chris’ webmail and then, absolutely could not see how to proceed, so I called tech support. 
            Tech support admitted the program was not real intuitive and he walked me through it.  Shortly, Chris’ webmail distro list was setup and ready to go.  So, I went across the room and logged on to my webmail through my internet service provider (ISP).  Email started to flow and then, all of a sudden, I’m getting Chris’ emails in my inbox!!  What is that about?!?!?
            I called tech support back and they reacted with a “WHAT?”  After several calls which would merely convince you dear reader that this was a laughable and very frustrating situation, I spoke to the supervisor about what was going on.  He looked from his end and found that one of his guys had set up an email distro group on the server with EVERYTHING from Chris’ emails  being forwarded to me.  He promptly corrected it and said he would be “chatting” with his guys!
            OK, so that’s taken care of and Chris is on his way. Meanwhile, I’m to wait for FEDEX on Friday to deliver a package that needs to be signed for.  OK, no problem; except FEDEX never came, and now it’s Wednesday and I still haven’t heard from them!!  OK, on to the next challenge.
            On Monday morning the house phone rings and it’s the CenturyLink (CL) field technician saying he’s coming out to hook up the new high speed internet DSL line.  Great!  So, he does his magic outside and I go about my day waiting for the modem to arrive via UPS.  The  modem arrives that afternoon and I proceed to set up the new internet connection.  Oh, by the way, I had noticed during the day that the house phone dial tone was gone, but I assumed that to be a temporary thing while the DSL was being activated.
            So, I had high speed internet Monday night and then again on Tuesday morning, but there was a problem.  I still didn’t have a dial tone, so I called CL again and was on the phone for over an hour while they straightened things out…or so they/I thought!  Seems when the order was written it did not specify to retain the home phone line; so, when the field tech came out, he disconnected the phone line and hooked up the DSL…on ANOTHER phone line.   So, I did indeed have hi-speed internet but never would have had phone again.
            The rep apologized a lot for my having to hold for so long (no kidding, it was over one hour!) and she assured me this would be taken care of that afternoon.  I asked if I needed to be here and she said “no” as the connections are all outside.  So, I went about my business.
            I arrived back home about 5 Monday night and now, I had NO phone AND NO INTERNET.  Apparently, the field tech did not come out that afternoon and by virtue of switching all the service back to the original phone number, it effectively cancelled the hi-speed internet also.
            Another one hour and15 minutes was on the phone Tuesday morning with hopes of having it resolved by Wednesday.  We’ve all been there.  We have a persistent problem and every time the help desk is called, you have to tell the whole story all over again.  I implored them to please expedite this hook-up and they said they would call back.  They did call back about 9:30 Tuesday night saying the soonest they could have someone out was Thursday between 11:30 and 3:30!!  Oh crap!  I give up!
            So, I decided to spend some relaxation time at the Trimble Hot Springs nearby.  Once you’re in for the day, you can come and go as much as you like.  I did this on Tuesday and it was amazing.  I’ve included a couple of pictures here of the hot springs.  At Trimble, there's a main therapy pool  The water is about 104-106 degrees and has lots of good minerals in it.  The far end is the hotter pool and is about 109.  So, I usually go into the larger pool first, then spend ten minutes or so in the hot end.
The therapy pool, 

          






Then, I head for the sauna and spend 10-15 minutes in there.
About 160-165
And, then, I finish things off with a short swim in the swimming pool.

Olympic size pool


         






So, I went to town this morning to run a few errands.  In the course of my adventures I managed to drop my phone which had happened before with not too much adverse effect. Well, this time did it in.  Now, understand, I’ve been using the same phone for about 2 ½ years!  I’ve had to use JB Weld to keep it together, but it’s an old friend and I’m very familiar with it and I did not want to upgrade.  After the drop, the phone came and on and would charge, but the display was gone, nothing, nado, zip!  After conferring with a couple of cell phone providers I learned that this happens a lot to older smart phones when dropped (Get a CLUE Ken:  Don’t drop your phone!!)  So, now I’m thinking this through.  No home phone or internet at the house.  I’ve been using my hotspot on my cell phone for internet access for the computer and now, I can’t function anything on the phone.  It’s strange how odd we feel when we suddenly realize we are totally disconnected from out electronics.  I thought, “Wow!  I wonder where there’s a pay phone?  I wonder if Muggy will accept a collect call?”  For us old folks, we remember those days.  For the younger generation, a collect call is when you’ve got no money and call through the operator to a number and hope that person will accept the charges for the call!
            So, I guess Ken is in the market for a new cell phone.  Well, the local Radio Shack guys were happy to hook me up and now I have the great joy of setting up my phone again!  It’s actually quite a nice phone, Galaxy 4S, and I think I will like it….eventually.
            So, what am I supposed to learn through all of this?  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.  You can try to comment to the blog; or, you can email me at hkenson@cox.net, or you can facebook message me.
            On a brighter note, I’ve introduced two four baristas at two different coffee shops in town to the idea of Macchiato with Cayenne Pepper and cinnamon.  None of them had ever heard of it before, but they plan to start offering it.  I’m going to suggest they call it the Georgia Bulldog, or just Bulldog.  It was Rachael and Luke, while living in Athens, who introduced me to it, so I think the name would be fitting!

            Later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment